How to Baby Proof Doors?
The only negative aspect of having a toddler in your house, is the continuous frustration of parents about his security. It’s your inquisitive toddler who makes you think about the doors and other potentially dangerous items in your house. As a mom, my biggest nightmare was ‘my kid locked in a toilet or his tiny fingers sandwiched in the door’. I opted for all preventive measures possible to protect my tot. Writing this blog is purely based on my intention to help other parents. There are a number of products that might be helpful in baby proofing the doors (irrespective of their type). Read on to know more about why and how to baby proof doors.
Why to Baby Proof Doors?
How that door moves? What is behind that door? How does this door produce sound? All these questions and many other such queries keep popping up in the tiny minds of the curious babies. Their curiosity makes them do all the fussy thing around. You can’t stop them from it. But you can surely create a healthy and safe atmosphere for them, where they can roam around the house freely and safely.
What Possible Dangers a Baby May Encounter?
We recommend baby proofing the doors because your baby might;
- Get his fingers pinched in the door
- Get an injury because of playing with hinges
- Lock himself inside some room
- End up in the storage room(or any other forbidden space), filled with dangerous objects or toxic chemicals.
How to Baby Proof Doors?
Check out the best you can do to avoid any undesirable situation for you and the kiddo.
1. Door Stoppers to Prevent Door Slamming
As a parent, you will never like your baby’s soft fingers to get injured. To avoid that, slamming prevention is the first step to follow. Door stoppers or finger pinched guard are the most recommended and safe option in this regard. Easily available in the markets, these door stoppers are made of foam. When clipped on the door, these stoppers literarily create a physical layer between the door and the fingers of your baby. You can fix it on any height (preferably out of your baby’s reach). Available in toy-like to discrete designs, these are a must-have item.
2. Fencing with the Baby Gates
Baby gates are yet another coolest and safest option to encounter a curious baby. It can be fixed easily to any spot you want to block off for your baby. You don’t want your baby to open a door, install it in front of the door. You fear the falling of the baby from the stairway, place it to block the passage. But make sure you are using the hardware installed safety gates only. This is the safest way to keep your little angel confined to his own space.
3. Products for Locking the Door
You don’t want your baby to enter some specific room? How would you, since your baby knows well how to move that door knob. We have the solution for that as well. Each door comes with a different mechanism. The most common door styles include—bi-fold doors, sliding doors, standard hinged doors and swinging doors. Products are available for each kind of doors. Read on to know how to baby proof doors according to their type.
- For swing or sliding doors—a securing strap or latching the door frame are the most recommended ways.
- For Standard hinged doors—buy a protector for the knob of the door. It would keep your child from opening the door.
- For bi-fold doors—cover the top hingeportion of the door with a lock.
4. Child Proof Deluxe Door Top Lock
If you feel confused with so many door types and different locks for each, try deluxe door top lock. Another great door locking product for keeping your baby secured. The best feature of this product is its versatility. It can easily be installed on any type of door. As it is placed on the top most part of the door, a baby can never reach it. Other pros of this door lock include;
- Installing this lock is such an easy task. It would not take more than 5 minutes from your busy schedule.
- It’s so easy to lock and unlock it. All you need is to simply pull the latch.
- This lock can be opened from both sides of the door. Isn’t it amazing?
- The product can be bought online and will be shipped to your place after completing the required procedure.
5. Door Monkey Lock
It’s another easy to install door lock that keeps the door locked firmly. The lock manages some open space between the door to let the air pass from one room to another.
6. Locking the Front Door
Front doors are the biggest attractants for the toddlers as they love to go outside. To avoid any injury or accident, we recommend installing a security door chain or a deadbolt on the door. Install it at a higher spot because toddlers are quite addicted to play the tricks of using chairs to open the latches.
7. DIY Techniques for Baby Proof Door
DIY hacks are always at your service. You don’t want to spend your fortune on buying any of the above mentioned products to baby proof the doors? Read on to find the easiest and the safest DIY method to protect your toddler from getting his fingers pinched in the door.
- Take an old thick fabric, sweater or a towel.
- Place it on the hinged side of the door.
- It should be thick enough to keep the door opened. Check that by closing the door.
- If it stays open for to some extent, that means it’s the safe zone for your baby.
- Placing a washcloth in the jamb of the door is another DIY method to keep your baby from opening the door.
All the methods mentioned above, are proven and reliable. But simply following and knowing about how to baby proof doors is not enough. Being parents, you cannot rely on door locks only. Nothing could replace the kind supervision of the parents. So, whatever techniques you apply, don’t forget to keep an eagle’s eye on your tot.